How to cover songs-1?
Step 1 Find the sheet music
- the Songbook
- If the band has released a songbook, you can buy the songbook. This gives you the most "augmented" information, how the song is composed. In the songbooks I have, you can find information about:
- - lyrics
- - chords for the guitar
- - sheet music for the piano
- search the internet for sheet music
- Use keywords like:
song title, band name, chords, tabs, sheet music. There are a lot, tabs available of Christian Alternative Rock-bands. Sometimes you even find information what's not in the songbook, so you can combine the sheet music out of the songbook with the sheet music you find
- make your own arrangement
- From some bands like "Breakfast with Amy" and "Swans" I couldn't find any information about the sheet music of the songs, I wanted to cover.
There was also not a songbook available. So I had to do it myself (with the help of God, of course!). I used the guitar method from Hal Leonard to figure out the chords by myself. In part three of the method they printed a quintet circle, from that figure you can deduct which chords belong to what key.
- First you have to determine in what key the song is played. Four key's should be enough for beginners:
Listen to song a few times and determine which chord: C,D,A or E sounds most natural to the song.
That chord will be the key into you will play the song.