Arranging the song by yourself
An extra hint to pick the right key
When the original song sounds neutral for example "Me" from Breakfast with Amy.
I pick the C-key.When the song is cheerfull, I pick the key E. When the song songs sounds between neutral
and cheerful, I choose A
How do know Where to put the chords in the song?
There are some basic rules:
Of course this is music, (especially alternative-rock does not always follow the standard musical rules),
you can also use another chord to start or to end then the Key-chord. But for beginners and intermediate musicians
I would advise, follow the rules, only when it really does not sound in your cover, go for an alternative.
- Start the song Key-chord (In the key C, you start with chord C)
- End the song with the Key-chord
- When there is a cheerful or neutral part in the song I use a major-chord
- When there is a sad part in the song, I use a minor chord.
- If you want put some more tension and variation in your cover you can also pick one chord from another key
(for example E, in the key C)
The second instrument
Remember every key has also a different scale:
When you use a bass instrument or a solo instrument, use the right scale if you want to follow the proper musical rules:
- C -> no sharps
- D -> two sharps
- A -> three sharps
- E -> four sharps
If you are not familiar with this theory, you can look it up in the guitar course by Will Schmid from Hal Leonard.